Plot No: 5-B, Sector: 19-B, Chandigarh 160019

Skip to main Content | A- | A | A+A Language


According to the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, one who purchases goods or services for his/her use is a Consumer. The user of such goods or services with the permission of the buyer is also a Consumer. Therefore, every one of us is a Consumer in one way or the other.

Consumer disputes means a disputes where the person against whom a complaint has been made, denies or disputes the allegations contained in the complaint.

  • Right to Safety.
  • Right to be informed
  • Right to Choose.
  • Right to be heard.
  • Right to seek Redressal.
  • Right to Consumer Education.

  • A Consumer.
  • Any Voluntary Consumer Organisation registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860 or the Companies Act 1951 or any other Law for the time being in force
  • The Central Government
  • The State Government or Union Territory Administrations

  • If you have suffered loss or damage as a result of any unfair/ restrictive trade practice adopted by the trader
  • If the goods purchased suffer from any defect
  • If the services hired/availed of suffer from deficiencies in any respect
  • If you have been charged a price in excess of the price displayed or fixed by or under any law in force
  • If the goods hazardous to life and safety, are being offered or sale to public in contravention of any law in force

  • Removal of defects from the goods
  • Replacement of the goods
  • Refund of the price paid
  • Award of compensation for the loss or injury suffered
  • Removal of defects or deficiencies in the services
  • Award for adequate cost to the parties

With a view to ensure out of court settlement of Consumer Complaint and consequently easing the pressure on Consumer Forums and State Commission the Central Government has proposed to establish " Mediation Advisory Centre". The provision for necessary accommodation and infrastructure for Mediation Advisory Centre at Ahmedabad are being made.

It depends upon the cost of the goods or services or the compensation asked.

  • If it is less than Rs.20lakhs - in District Forum
  • If more than 20 lakhs but less than rs. 1 Crore - before the State Commission
  • If more than Rs. 1 Crore -before the National Commission
  • Address are available on web at www.fcamin.nic.in
  • Click here to view the Address of the State Commission and District forums

Click here to view the procedure of filing a case

Click Here For District List